Thursday, June 14, 2012

Express Yourself...

"You deserve the best in life...So if the time isn't right then move on. Second best is never enough
You'll do much better baby on your own." I heard this Madonna song tonight as my son (in NYC) and I were sending text messages to one another and I put this part of the lyrics on my Facebook wall. Think about it...don't you deserve the best in life? If the answer is yes, you need to Express yourself!



Have you ever felt like no matter how hard to tried to make things better, or to make a relationship work you just kept taking three steps forward to go two steps back? That was my life 13 years ago and looking back is wasn't as easy as so many people would think. Being the black sheep of my family already I was the one who didn't get through college. I was the one who got married too young and became a mother too fast, and I was the one who would never succeed like her siblings did. Imagine trying to live your life competing with that? Welcome to what was once known as my world. 
Do you know how old and meaningless it gets to be the one hounded by your mother for things that she would NEVER in a million years hound your brother and sister for? Have you ever been made to feel so bad that your self esteem became so low that you didn't think you were capable of doing anything at all, much less being a mother? I ask you...where is the love?


After my divorce I was the "pity" child. I was the one that was in need of something/everything. I was the single daughter with no man to care for me...but guess what? I didn't need a man to take care of me. I could take care of myself. I took on retail management jobs, and worked for custom builders. I tried working for nursing homes, chiropractors, I was an office manager a few times, I ran a payroll and account department,  property management, mortgage work, more sales, and even real estate. The problem was....I wasn't the vice president of a bank, the doctor or the molecular biologist. I was none of that....but I was still the same girl that held her head high when she walked into a room because I was proud of who I was. I paid the bills, kept the room over 3 heads, put food on the table, put two kids through private high school and then onto college. I was 'Super Mom' and to me, that job title was held with more honor, praise and respect than all of the above jobs put together.


I was just me...a woman on a mission to succeed somehow doing something that I love. No one ever guessed that would be selling panties and sexy lingerie for a living but that you see was my calling. Building two lingerie businesses from scratch was exactly what I did. If you think owning your own business is easy, think again my friend...It is endless hours, tons of computer work, new products, blogs, affiliate programs, taking business classes to keep up on laws and rules, and traveling to convention centers for trade shows. Even doing all of those things as important as they all are making other women feel  special and giving them the confidence to believe in themselves was where my destiny was. You may not think much of it but I was determined to make a difference. Does my family approve of what I do? I am not sure really. Sometimes I think that they think I'm nuts. Do I care? No....because you see like Madonna, I deserved the best in life, and it was/is my time...so I'm moving on, with or without the support of others. Sometimes I do much better on my own, and since I love what I am doing, and I am confident in 'me' nothing else really seems to matter for it is this that makes me who I am, and I am a happy gal!


The moral of the story is don't let someone else try to run your life. No one decides what's best for you except for you. Never let anyone tell you that you are not good enough. No one needs a dictator, and no one needs to treat you like anything you do is inadequate. Others, including your family may think that they know what is best for you,...but guess what? Only you know what is best for you. I did it at age 19 and I can make the right decisions at 48. 


Never allow yourself as a person to feel like you are second best, or not good enough. You owe it to you to be true to who you are, regardless of what you do. If you are happy with your life, you owe no one any explanations. If you are lost and looking for your way...fear not, you'll find it. Have faith in yourself. If you are afraid of making mistakes....honey, I wrote the book on them, and I am still making mistakes but if you don't mess up once in a while you won't grow from it. If people keep bailing you out or trying to 'fix' your problems, you'll never learn. 


Take life one day at a time. Life is NOT about having regrets. Life is far too short to ask 'what if?' Life is too short to wonder 'why' didn't I try this, or that? If you don't like what you do for a living, make a change. If you don't like where you live, move. If you love big cities and live in a small rural town, pack your bags and venture out. If you don't you'll never know what could have been, and trust me, you don't want to look back on your life 20 years from now and wonder 'what if!' Life is full of risks, so take one. Don't be afraid to grab the bull by the horns. Live for today! As for me, I have two terrific kids now both living in NYC that love life, and they are finding their way. They are succeeding and doing well, and they should be...I didn't meddle and I gave them the tools to use in life to grow and learn. They are happy and they love me for me, good, bad and ugly...faults, bad habits and all. That is unconditional love my friends and that is what life is all about.  


Unconditional love is known as affection without any limitations.Who really loves you? Those who allow you to be who you are without judging you know the true meaning. They are the ones who will sit back, watch you grow and mature, and they will be the ones that see the fullest potential in all that you are and all that you do. Those who want to control you or run your life,..they have a real problem. Love is not smothering someone,...it's giving you the space to learn and to grow.






www.simplydeliciouslingerie.com

4 comments:

  1. Wonder write up Ms Michele. You sound like an extremely proud and very stubborn young woman. Confidence is sexy in a woman, even in Super Moms.
    I read you mid-morning each day and I feel like I have grown up with you as your stories tell us eac day with each new article who you are both inside and out. You are a remarkable lady!

    Cheers!

    Albert T
    Manchester England

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always so delightful to get more insight on you. I think because you are so free with your words and open with your readers, we can relate to so much of what you say as well as your topics.
    Great post!You certainly do express yourself well.

    Lilly G
    Sidney Australia

    ReplyDelete
  3. My morning coffee would not be the same without you MssDelicious. Inspiration is what you dish out and we enjoy consuming it! Keep the blogs coming. This on touched a nerve. I was the oldest and never was good enough, also the black sheep like yourself. I read an recent article that you wrote about your grandmother telling you that you were born to stand out. She was right. You do, and people love for being you!

    Henry Miltner
    Gary Indiana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss Michele, I read this article three times, and my eyes teared up because I felt as if I were reading my own life through your words. I was the black sheep, I was never good enough and I couldn't cope with it. I had a great support group and through them I learned to love me for me. I an 38 now and I am like you I too am living life and enjoying just being me. As for my siblings, one is now bankrupt and the other divorced and always grumpy. Looks like my life as a small town editor didn't turn out all that bad after all? Thanks for the words of encouragement and sharing so much of your life with complete strangers. I know that you have pulled me out of a rut more than a few times just by reading your blog page. You bring smiles and joy to complete strangers. That is something to be proud of.

    Gloria B
    Casselberry FL

    ReplyDelete