Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Does Sex Sell?

Oh you better believe it......Sex sells! Advertising and sex have been tied together since advertising became a big business. The use of sexually suggestive images to sell just about everything really emphasizes the point that sex is a merchandiser's best friend. One doesn't walk into this type of business with blinders on...Oh No! I knew what I was doing....I have other businesses, and I love them, each one of them...Simply Delicious Lingerie and soon to be (Simply Luscious Lingerie) are the most rewarding to me, both for personal reasons as well as financial reasons.

Sex is used to sell all sorts of products. Would you agree that sex really sells... best? I am a little bit bias due to the fact that I own a few lingerie shops myself, but in all reality, sex does sell....no matter how you slice it, it just does!

 For the consumer, it makes sense to use sex to sell lingerie, men's cologne, even liquor, but what about using sex to sell some of these other products? Lingerie is a leading seller in the market today. Sex sells claims the old and undeniably true adage. We are sexual beings. Advertisers use this attribute by trying to associate their products and services with sexy imagery hoping that some of the hotness gets attached to their brand in the consumer's subconscious mind.

However abusing your audience's attention is a dangerous thing. Another thing to be cautious about is how much nudity is sufficient to grab eyeballs and what is too much thus considered offending. This is of course a cultural question. Usually the more religious your target market the less accepted it is to show bare body parts. For these reasons one needs to be careful where and how to use sex in advertising.

To a degree, fashion brands are going with the flow of a 24/7 media landscape in which the limits of what images are deemed acceptable are constantly being tested and expanded. While we are playing a role in communicating suggestive, if sometimes playful, sexually infused messages, brands and retailers are generally reluctant to discuss the impact of what they are doing. Now the brand is less important because of the dialogue that exists between consumers, and what makes a brand cool is what this new culture defines. Today, it’s social media, the conversation. You can’t understand your consumer if you do not have a dialogue. You don't need much dialogue to discuss or describe sex. Lingerie suggests being provocative, sassy, saucy and spicy.

At Simply Delicious Lingerie we are working at creating advertisements that will show class, not trash. In retrospect, some would ask, "How is selling vibrators and toys in an adult novelty section not trash?" We don't enforce the items, we sell them. I strongly believe that everyone has a right to do what they wish to do in the privacy of their own home or surroundings....you are purchasing the products from my web site whether they be beautiful corsets, baby dolls, cocktail dresses, gowns, swimwear, or novelties....one wouldn't think that you were going to sit on a porch swing and use the toy.....NO, you are discrete in how you use or wear it just as we are in how we sell it.

I was raised a strong Catholic. Now, God forbid you sleep together or get pregnant before you wed....the church wants nothing to do with that...in fact, they pretty much condemn you....how do I know this? I'm a rebel, the "bad girl" if you will....and I got pregnant before I was married. Back in the day some 20+ years ago that was just unheard of, now women are becoming single mothers every day. Tell me......Why is it OK for the church to condemn what I did/do but it's OK to play BINGO and drink all night in a beer tent and then get in your car and drive home? I don't get it?

 I admire those who unlike many continue to find a way to sell the products without getting bad mouthed.....I have no trouble sleeping at night, in fact.....I sleep quite well. Lingerie is a billion dollar industry and unlike some, sex does sell and I will continue to sell it! As my businesses grow I will open myself up to yet other markets. Why? Why not. I like working for me and not punching a time clock. I respect all of my customers and appreciate them for choosing Simply Delicious Lingerie for their "naughty needs" and beautiful lingerie products.

Our new web site launches in just a few days! We look forward to seeing you!

Michele, Owner/CEO
Simply Delicious Lingerie
http://www.simplydeliciouslingerie.com/
Michele@SimplyDeliciousLingerie.com



http://www.simplydeliciouslingerie.com/


© This is a copyright of Simply Delicious Lingerie

4 comments:

  1. You just keep doing it girl....where do you get the drive and the energy? You should bottle that! Congrats on the new design of the site. I hear that it is pretty nice looking. Send me some business cards to pass out at the clubs.

    Can't want to go to Vegas! Where will you be there for the lingerie trade show? September?

    Denise
    NMB, SC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice article, all in good taste.
    Style you have.

    I admire that in a woman.


    -Bill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Well said Shell. Your strength and determination amaze me! You go girl!


    Lauren Gillis
    San Antonio, TX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, after the site launches- there is a 9 iron and a golf course of 100 waiting for you in MB. You friends miss you.

    Arnie

    ReplyDelete