Saturday, July 16, 2011

Sex & Advertising

In the U.S. fashion and beauty industry, sexual imagery in advertising seems to be going in two
different directions: toward a more subtle sexiness that emphasizes the product, but also toward
the more brazen and provocative.

They say that sex sells and they, whoever they are, were right! Everyday I see it and it gets more and more risky. Yes, Sex still sells – and it can still shock, too. Through many lonely evenings with my computer on my lap and a good movie on the television, I spent many of hours gazing mindlessly while trying to work,.....then I began to realize that all these commercials are absolutely, completely perverted in one way or another. I'm not who spend a lot of time in front of the television at all so imagine the shock when I sat and watched some commercials that one would think might be harmless, be quite alarming!!

Time and time again I’m reminded of how faithful this theory is with continual reminders from the biggest brands. Everyone from car companies to watch makers, fast food joints to coffee brewers, have been trying to tell me something: buy our crap and think about sex.Now, this may seem obvious to some extent because a lot of companies don’t hide the fact that their logos are purely sexual. Products like condoms, lingerie, body wash, after shave, diapers, makeup, etc. Although these products are prime examples for this magnificent marketing technique, there are so many other companies that are in no direct way related to such acts of splendor, yet formulate mottoes that can easily be perceived otherwise.

So naturally....now I am left to wonder if this is due to some subliminal slang that has been discovered by advertising geniuses and ignored by the general public or merely a convenient coincidence. I found a study after I began digging into the whole "Sex Sells" concept because I am selling sex myself with the lingerie shops I own and recently wrote a similar article. What sells sex more than television is billboard advertisements. This is definitely on my list of things to do. While many say it would be a waste of my company money, I strongly disagree with them. Do people notice them? You tell me? Would you?

AAhhhhhhhh but wait.....I thought that some of those were quite provocative, and then I stumbled upon Chiquita, Ray Ban, Fed Ex and Planters.....I was shocked, and laughed at the same time.....I'd say they got their point across, wouldn't you? Yes, advertising sells the product all right..... and sex is the driver!














© This article is a copyright of Simply Delicious Lingerie

No comments:

Post a Comment