Friday, July 22, 2011

Reality....Time to Get Your Head Out of the Sand!

There are times when I think I feel not “so hip” or up with the times, and it is usually only a matter of minutes before one of my kids, (my son 27 or my daughter 25) sets me straight. I guess the phrase “get jiggy with it” and “talk to the hand” are out? The looks that I get when I say some things are priceless……nonetheless, funny at the same time because at that moment I get the reality check on the new lingo with the times today.
Phrases change, some that I would never guess that the meaning of them was quite so raunchy…and I learn. Same things go and holds true with fashion. 10 years ago I didn’t know who Jimmy Choo was. I thought Gucci was a form of a sneeze and Prada I only understood after the movie Serendipity. Sad right? Not really…..if you aren’t into fashion how would one know? I mean these are not products you find at Target, Wal-Mart, or Payless. Like “The Jefferson’s” now you’re in the big leagues, when you talk turkey in these terms and use these brand names people tend to take notice.
Thank God my kids love style and fashion. Thank goodness my children are cultured, well educated and pleasant to be around. Thank God I taught them to love all music because now I have the best song list on my Ipod for a 47 year old woman! "Put a Ring On It"......love Beyonce,...and who new JZ was such a great musician! "State of Mind" makes everyone want to move to NYC! "dirty" made everyone want to get a little risky...Thanks Christina....and Womanizer...well if Britney didn't call that one right? Lady Gaga,...I know her songs by heart. I taught my kids about the Cheap Trick, David Bowie, Rod Stewart, Aerosmith, Simon & Garfunkel and Queen,.... and now I know all about Gaga, Madonna,Katy Perry and others. My kids are great and I truly would not know what to do without them. They are my rock, the glue that holds my life in order, and keep my in the "groove" of reality! Now if I could only get my parents to get “hip” with the times. Here is a great example: A month ago I decided Houston wasn’t really home and I was ready to move back to my roots. I didn’t know where I wanted to go to.....nor did I know what the areas surrounding where I grew up were like having not been back (to live on a daily basis) for over 28 years.
My parents suggested moving in with them for a few months until I figured that out. I am so glad I did! It’s been great. I’ve taught them to garden, to not take crap, say no to "late charges" and argue a bill, don't let retailers and stores bully you! We are who keep them in business, and as the saying goes....the customer is or should be always right. They go to the same grocery store that they have gone to for so many years...They have never visited “Aldi’s” and “Save a Lot” (this grocery type store as a single mother I frequented often.) They loved it,.... in fact Mom asked me today if we could go back? I'll drive- when I get in their car it's satellite radio with the 50's and 60's music. A girl can only take so much! I am enjoying my return home to Youngstown and Cleveland Ohio. It's the small things that we take for granted that turn out reminding us of why were are there.
My next step is teaching them how to use the computer. Well……..wait a minute, in between writing this I just took a shower and learned something else…..I used a different bathroom today and realized none of my favorite products were in there. No “Princess” shower gel by Vera Wang……OMG….no shower gel at all! These parents of mine still use a bar of soap!!! I didn’t even know that they still made bars of soap. Having worked for Bath & Body Works and The White Barn Candle Company for years, I got used to being spoiled by discounts and luscious scented lotions, and shower gels. Yes, before you ask...I did buy all of the scented products for my mom as gifts and she loved them,...now she is retired and they say that they are on a budget. Mom says it's nuts to pay $12 for shower gel when you can buy a pack of bar soap for less than $4. God, give me strength! (I'm laughing as I write this you should know......)

This article was supposed to be about reality, however, as hot as it is outside and as much as I really don’t feel like leaving the house today… it’s time to take a trip to BBW and get Maryann some shower gel! The point of this article is: We need to keep up with the times. We need to pay attention to what is going on around us. We need a good dose of reality. Mine came to me in the form of a bar of Irish Spring!
I love the communication that I have with my kids! Every day I learn something new…..
Take the time to listen, to your kids, your parents, or grandparents. Until I had this talk with my parents this morning, they had their heads stuck in the sand and were missing so many fun and exciting things. Life is too short to not keep up. Start living life for today...enjoy and embrace what you have, and laugh at the things that seem so funny to endure. Reality sure is nice!



©This article is a copyright of Simply Delicious Lingerie.

No comments:

Post a Comment