Saturday, May 19, 2012

Things You Should Know About Wine...

I don't know about you but I love wine. Years ago it wasn't my favorite, in fact, I've always been a "shaken, not stirred" martini kind of gal....but I certainly wasn't an experienced wine drinker, nevertheless,  now I know a lot more about it. No, I am not at all a wine connoisseur, but I know so much more now than I once did. Finding the right wine makes all the difference. Serving the right wine with the right food makes the meal perfect. There is a certain wine for every occasion, and while so many people have their favorites, mine is Frog's Leap Rutherford Cabernet Sauvignon 2005, a terrific Napa Valley Blend, also one that is a bit pricey, nonetheless worth every penny when you taste it.

Some people prefer reds while others prefer whites. I guess that like them both just the same. Wineries are a wonderful place to go...Oh how I miss my girlfriends and road trips. Some people ask, "Where does wine come from?" While everyone has their own opinion,...wine, an alcoholic beverage is made from fermented grape juice. Those who drink it knows the pleasure and joy associated with it. 

Enjoying happy moments with a glass of wine and snacks is something you would remember for all your life. Over the years I have discovered things about wine that I will now share with you:


1. Women who drink two glasses of wine a day are more active in bed. In simple words, they enjoy sex better as compared to women who do not drink wine. Soooo very true. This I knew because I recently wrote a blog about it.
2. The flavor of young wine is known as “aroma” while a mature wine’s flavor is like a “bouquet”. (good to know!)
3. A person who constantly talks about wine that she/he will open but never does, is popularly known as a “cork-tease”. That would be me, Michele, the cork-tease! I hoard a good bottle of wine like I hoard my favorite Yankee Candles.
 4. In ancient Greece, a person hosting the party would drink the wine first just to make sure it was healthy to drink and not poisoned. It was here that the popular phrase “drinking to one’s health” arose. It was in ancient Rome that Toasting started when the Romans continue to follow the Greek tradition. However, they were the people to drop a toasted bread in their wine glasses to moderate excessive acidity and undesirable tastes.
5. You will be astonished to know that early Roman women were not allowed to drink wine. If their husbands found about their wine drinking, they had the liberty to kill them. I guess that I would have been a 'dead woman!'
 6. Since wine tasting is all about wine smelling, women of reproductive ages are better wine testers because they have better smell sense than men.
7. Highest wine consumption was recorded in the cities of California, Florida and New York of United States of America. France, Italy and Spain are three largest wine producers in the world followed by California.
 8. In their endeavour to dissipate the aroma of wine, wine testers twirl their wine glasses, often filling them up to only one third, in order to avoid splitting of wine during a twirl.This is key in understanding wine.
9. Hey here's an important tip that you might not know...Make sure you never store wine in the kitchen because it is warm, and thus not an ideal place to store it. Moreover, refrigerators are also not the right place to store wines because even at the warm settings, they are very cold.
 10. While tasting wine, leave the wine in your mouth for a second or two. Then, you can either spit it out in a spittoon or swallow it. A high quality wine not only tastes good but also has a long after-taste. On the other hand, a low quality wine would have a short after-taste.
11. Ripe and rich dark shades of wine such as the most golden whites, deepest & blackest reds are produced at places that have warmer climate, whereas less lush and lighter shades of wine like white wines are produced at cooler climates. Not many people know that with time white wine becomes golden and brown yellow while red wines lose their color and turns into a brick red color.
 12. And last but not least....Did you know that...drinking wine regularly helps you stay fit and healthy? It has also been found that drinking wine reduces the risk of gum diseases, Alzheimer’s disease, stroke and heart diseases. So, the next time you drink wine, remember it’s all good...and  the health benefits support the cause. Hey if the doctors says it's good for you, that's I need to hear. Now I'm just following doctors orders!


www.simplydeliciouslingerie.com



No comments:

Post a Comment