Monday, August 29, 2011

Menopause and Weight Gain

Do You have the
Menopause Munchies?

After years of trying to get my body back to it's girlie figure, after the 2 childbirths which...btw, I used as an excuse for the increase of my thighs and ass until the kids went away to college. At that time they said to me "Mom...Seriously?" Ok, so I hit the treadmill, starting eating better and knocked off that 10 pounds but still had 12 to go...then I learned I had cancer, and although that made me sick a lot, the after effects of the steroids from chemo put some 28 pounds back on me.

The weight gain for me didn't happen right away, about 4-6 months after the chemo I started noticing that my skirts and slacks were getting tighter...I couldn't understand this, so I went to get my thyroid checked and had my yearly physical. Those tests came back fine. My doctor said this was normal and it would take time to take off.

Finally after the cancer coming back 4 times in the past 9 years I had the weight off (a year ago) and actually was able to go to the mall and buy a pair of khaki shorts in a size 6. I hadn't been in a size 6 since before I had the kids. I was in heaven! 3 months ago, I was under stress, was contemplating a relocation, was trying to operated 2 small businesses and make changes to them, to get ready for my plus size lingerie shop to launch in the fall this year. I had to get my son relocated to NYC after he graduated from college and was not feeling like myself at all.

I found myself eating more, and more, and more,...and exercising less, and less and less. I was tired but had a lot of nervous energy...why? No idea? All I know is that my waistline/mid-section is getting bigger and expanding and I have what some women would call "love handles" I refer to them as  having more rolls than Mr Tootsie! What was I to do? I researched. Here is what I found:

A drop in estrogen and progesterone can increase a woman´s appetite and cause her to eat up to 67% more, according to one study. An increase in appetite coupled with a slower metabolism with the onset of menopause can cause weight gain in women. This could, perhaps, account for the 12% jump in the number of women who are overweight in midlife compared to women in their 20s and 30s.

Weight Gain During Menopause


As women approach menopause they endure many symptoms but one that proves the most difficult for many women to accept is menopausal weight gain. Not only can a few extra pounds (or maybe more) ravage a woman´s self-esteem and self-image, but weight gain can usher in a host of health concerns that put a woman at risk of developing life-threatening conditions.

About 90% of menopausal women experience some amount of weight gain. Although weight gain is a natural and common aspect of getting older, there are ways to reduce it. Women who are educated about this symptom are more likely to find ways around the typical spare-tire waist or extra inches here and there. Continue reading to learn more about weight gain, its causes, and treatment options.

About Weight Gain


Weight gain takes place when a woman increases her body mass, whether as a result of fat deposits, additional muscle tissue, or excess fluid. However, weight gain associated with menopause typically involves increased amounts of fat around the mid-section.

On average, women gain between 12 to 15 pounds between the ages of 45 and 55, the stage in life when menopause typically occurs. This extra weight generally does not evenly distribute itself throughout a woman´s body. The weight tends instead to accumulate around the abdomen, and women often notice the shape of their bodies slowly lose their hour-glass figure and begin to take on a rounder shape. This body transformation is a typical aspect of weight gain during menopause. Oh,...shoot me now!

Risks of Weight Gain


Weight gain during menopause entails more than just aesthetic concerns. Although no one enjoys looking in the mirror and seeing a softer, plumper body looking back, weight gain can lead to very serious health conditions that transcend visual displeasure. Several diseases and other conditions can spawn as a result of a body burdened with excess pounds. Here is a list of conditions weight gain can lead to:

• Heart disease, stroke.
• High blood pressure.
• Osteoarthritis.
• Breast cancer.
• High cholesterol.
• Kidney disease.
• Sleep apnea.
• Insulin resistance (increasing
  diabetes risks).
• More severe menopausal symptoms.

Causes of Weight Gain


As years progress the metabolism slows; setting the physiological stage for weight gain. Although age itself can lead to plumped midsections, women approaching menopause have particular cause for concern. As a woman´s hormones fluctuate prior to menopause and preparing for a permanently reduced hormonal level, it is likely to experience weight gain.

Ladies, sometimes it truly does suck being a woman....hot flashes, mood swings, eating out of control. I feel like I'm on a runaway train. My scale has hit higher numbers and I keep saying "OMG...Make It STOP!! That doesn't work, so I cry, and cry some more. If you can't find me look in my walk in closet, I'll be the woman, like my little sister that sits on the closet floor with her size 6 shorts and clothes crying "what's happened to me...with a cold slice of pizza in hand." 

Share your experiences with others by posting on my comment section, please. It will help a lot of women more than you know. We aren't in this alone. I just want my old shape back!



http://www.simplydeliciouslingerie.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment