Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Like Big Cities? How About Living in NYC

Who doesn't love the big city life? It certainly is not dull and gloomy. If you're just visiting, enjoy the hustle and bustle,..I'm a small town girl who married, divorced, raised two kids on my own for the most part, and sent them off to college and to study abroad in Europe during the summer months. I worked two jobs to give them a better perspective on life. I wanted them to experience the social economy so that they would appreciate living in the good ole' USA, and I wanted them to view how others live politically, socially and partake in their cultures. They backpacked all over Europe and came home 9 weeks later at the end of the summers with such wonderful photos and stories that will be memories for their children some day. I grew up in a small town, just outside of Cleveland Ohio and relocated to a larger city...or so I thought? Not! Perhaps by population, but nothing like my children were about to embark on. My children taught me to get my feet wet and travel the globe, experience life and big city living, and never to be afraid to take chances...so I did! Why then did it not surprise me that the two of them now live in cities ranked amongst the top 5 largest cities in the USA?

NYC It is alive and bright and people fill the streets shopping and site seeing area landmarks. Sure New York is legendary for high prices, but it’s not an unlivable city. On the contrary to things that you hear, it is one of the most beautiful cities I've ever seen. I've heard that people are rude in NY but having visited there a few times and now spending time there visiting my son who works in Manhattan and lives in one of the Burroughs, Brooklyn, I can't wait to visit time and time again! We go to work and some of us commute via transit stations. My son sold his car when he left Houston, Texas and loves the subway! He tells me that he does not miss driving and dealing with the nut jobs on the roads that are accidents waiting to happen. Anyone that has ever driven day in and day out the Houston I-10 commute with connection to 610 Loop knows that it is chaos and a nightmare. Your 20-25 mile drive (if you live in the burbs like I did) to work now becomes an almost 2 hour commute each way... and that's on a 14-20+ lane highway. You want to talk about wanting to pull your hair out...try it sometime! It is STRESS x 100...and here I thought my sister living right outside of Washington, DC in Maryland and driving 18 miles with about the same commute time was awful, until I found myself in the same boat as her. I relocated to Houston to be near my kids for a few years and to get out of Michigan's ice cold tundra winters. 200+ inches of snowfall each winter was more than I cared to experience again, and when my daughter suggested sunny high temps and palm trees, I jumped on that idea. Big cities are only as scary as you allow them to be. Do not let them intimidate YOU!

NYC scares a lot of people because they hear that it is expensive to live there...It is, but no more expensive to live in any other large cities such as Miami, FL, Chicago Ill or San Fran, CA. There are thousands of students who manage to get by every day on limited funds. Here are some suggestions for living in the city that may make your experience a bit easier, more fun— and cheaper.

 
Getting Around NYC:

One of the best things about New York is that it’s got the oldest and most elaborate subway system in the country.  Get yourself a subway map and use it!  You can also find subway and bus maps online at the MTA website. If you know where you want to go, but don’t know how to get there, you can visit hopstop.com just type in an address and a map of the location pops up with nearby subway lines highlighted.  Pay close attention to what I am about to say because it is crucial if you don't want to get lost...keep in mind, you will. They say most often that sometimes we find the best places when we fall off our sense of direction and go the wrong way, take the wrong exit, or get off a station of the subway too early, or too late.

When riding the train, take the time to make sure you are getting on the right train in the right direction, otherwise you can end up somewhere that you really don;t want to be. That said, at some point during your stay, you will inevitably end up on the wrong train. Don’t feel bad, it happens to everyone. Look for signs in the station and listen for announcements about track changes due to construction. Some trains don’t run at all (or run on a different track) late nights or on the weekends, so be sure to read the signs carefully. There is an "AP" button that you can upload on your iPhone or Android of NYC and the Subway routes that you can upload before your trip. For my son who moved to NYC in June this is his bible. Without it he would be lost. Remember, that some subways shut down early so if you are out bar hopping, make sure that you know when the last train out is, otherwise you may be in for a real treat or a very expensive taxi ride!

Manhattan, for the most part, is a nice, neat grid. The avenues run north/south. Most of the avenues (11 of them) are numbered, beginning in the east and getting higher as they go west. Streets run east/west and the numbers get higher as they go north. In order to figure out where to go using a map, you’ll need to know which way is north. If the street numbers are getting higher, you’re heading north. Also, on one-way, even-numbered streets, the traffic runs east and on odd-numbered streets, traffic runs west.

You can also bike in New York City, either for recreation or to get to work. There rre several greenways in the city, including the West Side Greenway, which runs along the west side of Manhattan along the Hudson. You can also bike in Central and Prospect Parks. Jay-Z and Alicia Keys sing the song that bests describes New York City; "Empire State if Mind"







http://www.simplydeliciouslingerie.com/

 


No comments:

Post a Comment