Friday, June 3, 2011

Hot Flash or Power Surge?

WHAT IS A HOT FLASH? Honestly, just when you think you have mastered the hurdles of being a woman, something new creeps in and pulls the rug out from under you. I was awakened one night to a mad rush of sweat and it felt as if I had just run a half marathon. There was no one lying next to me, or on top of me, so it wasn't a sexual encounter I had experienced either. What was this and why was it happening to me?

Hot flashes can begin early in menopause and are most common during the first few years after menopause begins. When I think of menopause, I think of someone (back in the day) much older than me, like my grandmothers age going through this, not a vibrant, energetic, motivated sassy gal in her mid 40s early 50s. Up to half of all women will experience moderate to severe hot flashes in the first few years of menopause, but some have to endure it far longer, like I have. If you have been experiencing hot flashes for a while now or you’re suddenly finding yourself shedding layers of clothing during an episode, you are not alone. Gone are the days of chewing on ice, now I find myself wearing it to cool off.

I’m not one that has experienced the severe mood swings like some women have reported, nonetheless, I do get edgy. There are times when like any of you who are also experiencing the same things feel the need to find my happy place. I do yoga for a short period of time or even meditate to calm myself and to soothe my nerves. Oh,I do get pissy so look out. When this occurs, my friends and family call me the middle aged hormonal crazy on the loose with an attitude! It wasn't bad enough having to deal with the once a month cycle where our bodies raged, suffered cramps, and were moody…...and now we have to experience this? Take PMS and multiply it by 100.

When my doctor described this to me a few years ago and stated that my body had begun this cycle, I was taken back for a few seconds, paused , starred at her in disbelieve and said as stated by Garry Coleman/Different Strokes….”Whatcha talkin about Willis?” If you are experiencing any of these signs or symptoms that I have just described, consult with a professional. There are things that you can do and meds that you can take to easy this burden that makes you want to literally pull your hair out. If you've never gone through this and you are reading this, and you are a woman you'll know this feeling when you are standing in a checkout line at the grocery store or at the mall and you suddenly feel like your body from your back to your neck are on fire. You get so hot that you may have to quickly exit the store. If its winter, leave the coat at home, this rise in body temperature could fry an eye.

Ladies, I know, this sucks….often I ask why men get off so easy? No menstrual cycles, not pregnancies, no childbirth, and no menopause….what I wouldn’t give to trade places with them just for a while. There are seductive, sensual and erotic ways of feeling passion and heat,…..this is NOT what I had in mind. So take a few minutes to absorb this information and if it sounds like something you may be going through, find a bar, get a tall martini or something strong to your liking and soak it up…
I don't know about you, but if we’re going to suffer hot flashes and my body is going to be heat induced to these extremes,...... I’d much rather endure my power surge with a cocktail and a sexy man!




No comments:

Post a Comment