Friday, March 9, 2012

Lose 5 Pounds Super Easy...

How many times have you heard someone say that they want to lose five pounds? And how many times have you heard that the diet starts tomorrow? Isn't that an old cliche?

cli·ché/klēˈSHā/

Noun:
  1. A phrase or opinion that is overused and betrays a lack of original thought.
  2. A very predictable or unoriginal thing or person.
Tell me, and let's be honest here....
We talk the talk, but when we open that pantry door and see a bag of potato chips, out the window goes those thoughts of wanting to lose weight because we would much rather induldge in fat and grease. The truth at hand is,losing a mere five pounds is very realistic and it can be a great kick-start to your metabolism and energy levels. Plus, it can help you fit into that little black dress or suit for that upcoming wedding, reunion, or vacation. First though YOU have to make the commitment to start now, not tomorrow, not Monday, but right now!

Below is a healthy plan to help you shed 5 pounds quickly, easily and most importantly, the healthy way. As with all diets, check with your doctor before starting any weight loss or exercise plan. If I can do it, anyone can do it!

1. Begin by drinking more water. Lay off the soda/pop whatever you call it. I get caffeine headaches because i have been drinking it for wayyyyyy too long. Coca Cola has become my best friend over the years and is my wake up, and get up and go in the morning and through out the day. Nonetheless, I did realize that I was drinking far too much. Not wanting to get severe headaches I have no limited myself to 2 cans per day. If I space it out that is 4 small glasses with ice and that is plenty. I also realized how much water my body was lacking. This can be so very harmful. Organs will shut down if you don't get enough water. Some of you might not know that, but here is your wake up call. Your body requires water to function properly and with the right amount of water, your digestive system will work more efficiently. Plus, by filling your stomach with water, you'll eat less and feel full faster.
  • Water helps flush your body of toxins and water weight. Yes, more water actually helps your body get rid of excess water.
  • The daily minimum intake of water is 64 ounces (or almost 2 liters). If you're like most people, your current intake of water is probably less than half of the recommended amount, so drink up!
2. Get off that couch and get active! That's right, shake your groove thing girlie, even if it means dancing while running the vacuum. My kids used to laugh at me because I would turn on that song by the Village People..."YMCA" and dance around. Sure I looked like an idiot but who cares? I was burning calories! When you move your body you build muscle, which burns fat. There are so many activities that you can engage in that don't cost money or require expensive gym equipment to help you get fit and lose weight. Here are some ideas:
  • Walking around your neighborhood or in a local park
  • Biking
  • Hiking
  • Swimming
  • Throwing a ball with your kids or spouse
  • Frisbee
  • Volleyball
  • Tennis
  • Inline skating (with the proper safety equipment of course)
3. Start making healthier food choices! To effectively boost your calorie and fat burning processes, eat healthier foods like leafy green vegetables, fruits and lean meats.
  • You'll also want to limit your intake of red meat, high calorie and fat dressings, gravies and sauces and avoid sugary drinks, candy or other foods with lots of sugar.
  • Sugar causes you to put on weight, so when you eliminate sugar, you help eliminate weight gain. Also, try to choose natural or organic foods in order to avoid consuming chemicals that may actually cause you to retain weight.
4. Use portion control to limit the amount of food you consume. Do you know what this means? Studies show that reducing the amount of food you eat actually produces the quickest weight loss. Obviously you want to do this in a healthy manner, not obsessively or out of control. So many people think they need to cut off their food supply to lose weight which is actually more harmful than good. It messes with your metabolism and can actually cause you to put all that weight right back on and then some....so eat! Here is my suggestion:
  • Eating 6 small meals a day, as opposed to the three larger meals you're probably accustomed to, has been shown to be healthier, help reduce fat stores and to increase metabolism.
  • If you're wondering what a healthy portion looks like, it's all in the hands. In other words, a healthy portion or serving size is about the size of your fist, palm, or hand, depending on what food you're eating.
  • Close your fist. That's a healthy portion size for a serving of rice, pasta or other side dish.
  • Open your hand and look at the size of your palm. This is the perfect amount of chicken breast, pork or other types of meat. It should be about the size and thickness of a deck of cards.
  • The size of your entire open hand is the perfect size for veggies.
5. Replace unhealthy snacks with nuts, raw veggies or fruit!
My grandmother used to always say, "An apple a day keeps the doctor away!" Here are a few examples to help you choose healthier snack options:
  • When you're craving chips or other salty, crunchy snacks, grab a handful of nuts instead. They are healthier for you and satisfy the craving for salt or crunchiness. Also, try to buy nuts with less salt. Natural or raw varieties will help to reduce your salt intake too.
  • When you want something sweet, grab a piece of fruit like an apple, banana, orange, or melon. The natural sugar is way better for you than eating a bowl of ice cream or a handful (or two) of cookies.
  • Have the munchies in general? Nibble on some raw carrots, celery or broccoli.
Losing 5 pounds can be fun and make you feel so much better about yourself. The best part is that it can be done quickly, in as little time as a week or two, depending on your specific circumstances.Whether it's to kick-start your weight loss plan or to fit into that little black party dress, taking off 5 pounds is a step in the right direction to a healthier, more fit you. It begins now! So get off that couch and shake the pounds away! You'll feel so good and your body will thank you, after all, as I say so many times....your body is your house, your protective barrier, take care of it, no one else will. It's the only one you've got!

A friend of mine told me about a great book to pick up, it's called "Eat This Not That!" I've listed it below for you to check out. recently it was also hot topic on the TODAY show! Sure you can still eat other foods, just learn what foods are better than others as far as calories, sodium and fat. You'll be surprised what you learn from reading this book and you'll begin making changes that will shed the pounds while still eating what you love!


http://www.simplydeliciouslingerie.com/

3 comments:

  1. Great advice Michele! I lost weight doing this and it's great that you are telling people that it is easy. We just have to change our eating habits. I love how I look now! I feel like a new me! I went from a size 14 to a size 8. I lost 35 lbs in 5 months. I did it slow, and ate much healthier. It was like 5 pounds a month, but I feel super great now! What worked best for me was drinking more water, and limiting myself to 1 glass of wine every few days. No alcohol. Thats where the hidden weight gain comes from because you don't think your consuming much, Oh...but you are.

    Sally L.
    Hilton Head, SC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michele, I am one of those people that you spoke of in your article. I need to lose 30 pounds, not 5...but 5 would be a great start! I enjoy reading your blog because you are honest and sincere. Its nice to see normal. I commend you on all of your efforts especially running a business. What I like most is how you treat both regular and plus size women equal. I think that it is great that soon you'll have a store for all of us! With much love for your column, and respect for you,...best wishes in all that you do!

    Tammy Bieltz, Avon CO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyday is my MONDAY Miss Michele...I have no will power. I say that I am going to diet and then I eat more. What advice can you give a girl with 45 lbs to lose? Is there hope and can it be done with your tips? Thanks for the name of that book. I am going to pick it up today...oh, and I watched it on the TODAY Show. I tracked it down. It was on like over a week ago, but it makes sense. Thanks for the great laughs, tears, and wonderful blogs in your journal. Can't wait to see the plus size store this Spring.

    Jeannie Davis, Marco Island FL

    ReplyDelete