Friday, September 9, 2011

Youngstown, Ohio....It's where I call HOME!

Where do you call home? Like many kids, I grew up in a small town where life was good, but by the time I was 16, I was ready to get out of dodge! My grandmother always told me to have a family and see the world. She taught me that if you were going to dream,..."Dream BIG!" So I did! I married at 19 and moved out of the little city that I called home, Youngstown Ohio. Growing up we took things for granted,..who doesn't? We knew all of our neighbors, you could stay out late at night, there were no curfews. We left home in the morning with a few dollars in our pockets and mom and dad didn't see us until dinner time. Did they worry, hell no! You didn't have to worry about sickos kidnapping kids. We didn't even know what a pedifile was.

We were safe and the world was a better place. We had NO idea what life had in store for us...our biggest wish was for a bicycle with a banana seat for Christmas! If you had more than one television in your house your family was rich, and you had one telephone that hung on the wall with a 5 foot cord, so you didn't get much done while you were on it. There were no two lines, three way calling, call forwarding, voice mail,...in fact, we didn't even have an answering machine until I was in the 9th grade and you would have thought it was something from a sci-fi! Ahhh and it was a town in which I grew up where you could go to bed and leave your doors unlocked. In fact, you could leave the house and leave your doors unlocked for a period of time...there was no trouble or violence, and if there was it was tragic and brought the whole town together.

Lets take a step back....When I was 17 I realized that there was not going to be anything for me here and if I wanted to follow my heart and make my dreams happen I wouldn't be doing it here. After the steel mills closed I watched family members struggle and lose their jobs. If you had a job you kept it, not like today where if we get sick of it or hate our boss we say F-U and find another one! My dad worked at the same place for 42 years until he retired, and my mother a bank manager for 25 years. I realized years after I left and had a family of my own in Grand Rapids, Michigan that there were more things to life than staying in one place. Now, some of you may like that....but I wanted more. After my marriage fizzled and the divorce was inevitable, I decided to work hard, to save a lot of cash, and to show my kids what life was all about.

 As a child my parents took us on vacations every year. I've seen all but 5 of the states in the USA and looking back now, I wished that I would have paid more attention to where we visited and why. At 13 you ask yourself...who cares about the Luray Caverns in Virginia, we didn't want to go underground to see the stalactites and the stalagmites! My aunt and uncle lived in Washington DC after having lived in foreign countries they traveled the globe working for the government. We visited them once a month. As kids we loved the visits because we got to see the the White House and all of the Museums. I would give anything to relive those childhood days where mom and dad opened our eyes to society. My kids have only been there a few times and it is not the same...now there are metal detectors, and security checks. It is quite sad. What happened to that state of mine that we used to live in where no bad happened and you felt safe everywhere?

 No one stepped out of the country....but we did! We used to get awaken by dad in the morning on a Saturday with  the smell of Maxwell House coffee brewing and our hearing...."Kids, get your ass out of bed, we;re leaving the country!" This meant we're going to Canada crossing the NY border to the Niagara Falls for the weekend! We loved it! We were fierce and like the Swiss Family Robinsons. Our family loved to be spontanous and adventerous! I guess that is a trait that I have since passed on to my children. They go go go.

It's funny, you know...my mom makes a statement every time one of the kids say, "Hey Mom, we're going to Italy, or Prague, or to Argentina, etc." She'll say....boy they sure love to travel, I don't know where they get that from?" Whatttt? Where do they get it from? Hellllloooo? We went everywhere as kids and saw everything! Oh but back then you didn't fly anywhere. 1) it was far too expensive, and 2) dad used to say all the time "Those people that fly have their heads stuck in the clouds and they miss everything on the ground!" ...meaning how can you see how beautiful this country is at 30,000 feet? My dad said that every famiy should eat dinner together and vacation. He said it is a privelage to do so, and something that he worked all year to save for to make us happy and to show us a little more about the society in which we lived.

In 1998, and after my divorce I began showing my kids the world. We decided to get our passports and booked trips to anywhere and everywhere. I worked two jobs while they attended college so that I could  send them to study abroad because I wanted them to really experience life, cultures, society as a whole, economics, politics and learn about the people of these countries. I'm so glad looking back now that I did this for them, because now, even though we continue to jet set to new places, we never forget how great the good old USA is.

Now it's 2011. My kids are out of college, have jobs in BIG cities,...2 of the largest cities in the US as a matter of fact. My son in Manhattan NY where 8 million people live on an island 8 miles long, and in Houston Texas where the population is now pushing 4.3 million. We've gone from Subways and not needing a car to 12-20 lane highways and fast paced living where if you slow down, you get run over. Life has been exciting for my kids and myself and I am grateful for so many things.

 I attribute all of my wonderful childhood memories to how well I was raised, not only by two wonderful parents but four really terrific grandparents and a great grandmother named Ada Belle. I contribute who I am and how I turned out to not just two people but to several. I am the woman I am today that stands before you, kind hearted, loving and passionate because of how I was raised. After living in Houston for a few years, and having relocated there after residing in Michigan for 24 years, it was time to go. I said good bye to the cold winters and snow and hello to heat and palm trees. My daughter is on her way to success in a marketing job and my son a in sales and working as a visual merchandiser for a high end retail store. Both are grown and living their lives now.

Knowing that although I loved the 100 degree temps and high humidity, it was time for me to go and I couldn't think of any other place I wanted to be but home. When I say home, I mean Youngstown. I own a few businesses and my stores are online so I can literally live or go anywhere anytime. Not many people can do that. I decided to come back to a small town of some 65,000 if that after living with millions...why? I missed my small town, my folks and the place I called home, where life was good, where I felt safe, and where you mattered,....My home town, where people here care!

Guess what? Nothings changed really. It's like that movie Pleasantville, the black and white turned into color and we've barely grown, not really changed....I remember Gray Drugs, Mr. Wiggs (our local department store), The Wedgewood Bowling Alley, and Wedgewood Pizza....some of those are now gone....BUT, now there is a Walmart, a Panera Bread and a Ruby Tuesday right down the street. Do you really need more? Some people that I went to school with never left this town we call home. I must admit, it's taking me a lot of time and a lot of biting my tongue not to scream with these 2-4 lane highways. Pot holes I've not seen for years. The same Hostess Thrift Store is on Mahoning Ave where I go for my favorite Hostess Cupcakes! Now they have a Twinkie Tuesday special! My mom and my sister still shop for shrubs and holiday pieces at Mashorda's Country Garden. My father has been going to the same barber since I was in junior high. It's amazing how while life moves on, Youngstown stood still in a many ways, but it sure didn't change the quality of people here, just the quantity,

I think that's good and bad.... "good" because obviously people like it here and although through the tough times and our bad economy they are still hanging on....but it's "bad" because this is all they know. Some won't even vacation far away if they've ever even done that? Folks I have news for you...Pennsylvania isn't another country, it's the next exit on the Ohio Turnpike! Plan a road trip! See how beautiful this country really is..and know that no matter where you go....that home will always be home. My advice folks,....let you kids live. Push them to see the world or another state for that matter.

People would be shocked if they saw the same world that I experienced. Politics, Race, and Religion do matter and they are something every kid should experience. Don't shelter you kids, and don't preach to them about how bad this country is if you've never left it. Sure we were sheltered, and my kids actually tell me that I am still niave. Wake up! Yes, I love where I grew up but there is a whole other world out there. So goooo! Can't afford it? Here's a thought....JOB! I worked two of them as a single mother. My kids and I are quite close and they thank me each and every day for all that I did to show them this country. As for me, I'll stay here for now to spend time with my retired parents after having been gone for 28 years. Most say... "Welcome Home Michele"...I say "Here's to new beginnings!" It's good to be home!





http://www.simplydeliciouslingerie.com/









http://www.savintravel.com/
 
Thank You Youngstown,...It is good to be home...for now anyway. Who knows where life will take me? I believe we all have a plan in life,... a path to take if you will. As for me? I make my own destiny!


© This article is a copyright of Simply Delicious Lingerie.

3 comments:

  1. Michele, one of the things that my office staff love most about our lunch breaks are reading yoru blogs. Somehow you make living dull come to life for many of us and we would be lost without you!

    Reading this particular blog about where and how you grew up was fasinating to say the least. It sounds like you had a wonderful upbringing which explains the positive energy behind each and every blog you write. You must be a real pistol?

    We never know if you'll be teaching us how to make a sexy dish, or what colors to wear to look the sexiest, or about your life in general. You write from the heart, and not many can understand that concept. Your words flow, and your slang at time makes us laugh so loud that people passing by stop to ask what we're laughing at? Your blogs are contagious! We now have half the office hooked on you, so please don't ever leave us! We love you! Can't wait to see your new plus size store!


    Madelyn Cadds
    Salt Lake City, Utah

    ReplyDelete
  2. MssDelicious, Youngstown Ohio must be thrilled to have someone with such high energy back? It sounds like you have the experience to teach others how to experiment with life and you certainly teach us that it's ok to make mistakes! You're family must be so proud of you. Thank You!


    Brenda Morris
    Atlanata, GA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michele, I enjoy your blogs. I wake up to you every morning and 20 minutes later I usually am reapplying my make up because your articles made me laugh so hard I cry. You probably have no idea what you do for people who suffer depression, as a suffering victim myself, I can say, "You lift spirits with your words, and you are a gift to all of us!"

    You smile often I see, I don't most of the day which is why my mornings are so special spending quite time with your blog.

    I sincerely appreciate all that you do!

    Marilyn T
    Bradford, Vermont

    ReplyDelete