Saturday, April 14, 2012

PMS...Does It Affect YOU?

I often ponder what to write about and generally it takes me a short time to decide once I find a subject. This morning when I left for work, I had NO idea what I might write about tonight, and then someone told me that she started reading my blogs and loved them. That meant a lot to me coming from her. Then she proceeded to tell me that I should write a blog about PMS. She stated that sometimes she gets so emotional and says things that she shouldn't have...Hey, don't beat yourself up, it happens, and we are allowed to go nuts every now and then. Then I wondered, how does it affect so many women and why in such a variety of ways?

I think it makes us feel much better to vent.The spouse may not think so but they need to understand that this isn't something we can hide from...PMS happens and we deal with it month after month.  I used to think I was going bonkers. Like that Katy Perry song (Hot & Cold) I was hot and cold, up and down, wrong and right...laughed then I'd cry...when was it going to end? Does any of this sound familiar?

 When you ask a man what PMS is he will say something like "It's a bitch gone wild" and I don't mean that in a good way or a dirty way...Nooooo, it means "Hang on to your hat Batman, I think I just saw her head spin around!" Listen, women don't ask for these nutty hormones to do a number on us. We don't wake up in the morning and say "Hey I am going to be the biggest hormonal bitch  today..." We struggle with our feelings and emotions  and more often than not, we do things or end up saying things that we probably are going to regret later. You're not alone gals...it happens to the best of us. No you don't have a screw loose, you're not a  lunatic, nor are you coming unglued.

We all know that when we get emotional we say insane things and that we act like a lunatic. (that's a given isn't it?) We don't mean what we're saying, much less do we know where in the hell these words came from. We just open our mouths and the hurtful phrases come out. Take this for instance; my friend said to me; "Shelly I love my husband very much but sometimes I just want to rip his face off." (no, she didn't really mean this, but I understood exactly how she felt.) Why? we've all been there gals and the smallest things that men do while we are going through PMS drive us insane!

What are some things that show signs of PMS? Well, along with the painful symptoms of PMS, many women report mood swings, depression, and general tearfulness at this difficult time. If you gain a lot of water like myself, you'll feel even worse. Really, is this all necessary? I mean, I'm sorry, not to sound mean but men don't have to deal with any of this stuff. Your emotional symptoms might vary from (physically) violent outbursts, experiences anxiety, irritability, depression, bloating,craving sugary foods, and mild crying session, often directed at those closest to you. They can leave you struggling to cope with the demands of family life, and leave your partner feeling rejected, frustrated and confused. Fear not! Some good communication and practical planning can help you to reduce the tension in your relationship. What men need to know is that THIS IS NO JOKE!

 Many women with spouses find that mood swings caused by PMS are affecting their marital relationship. Mood swings due to PMS can cause women’s emotions to change erratically and it is hard for women’s spouses to understand their partner’s behavior. However there are many things that women can do to stop their relationships with their spouses being adversely affected by mood swings due to PMS. Many happily married women suffer from PMS caused mood swings that affect their relationship with their spouse. However it is not a sign that a marriage is suffering and can often bring a couple closer together.

The 4-1-1 on it is this....PMS related mood swings are usually caused by imbalanced hormone levels. When the estrogen and progesterone hormone levels in the body become uneven the serotonin levels become affected. Serotonin levels affect a woman’s mood, so when they become unstable a woman’s mood then becomes unstable. It is normal for women to let their mood swings due to PMS affect their relationship with their spouse.


Mood swings that are caused by PMS and are having an adverse affect on a marriage can be treated both naturally and with medication. However women should first turn to natural treatments before medication to treat their PMS cause mood swings.

Natural Treatments to Help PMS:
• A healthy and balanced diet.
• Regular and Moderate Exercise.
• Natural Supplements.

Medication to Help PMS:
• Magnesium tablets.
• Vitamin B6 tablets.
• Vitamin E tablets.

However if PMS related mood swings are causing large problems with a woman’s interpersonal relations there are many other various medical treatments available. Although PMS related mood swings that cause problems with a woman’s spouse can be easily treated, naturally hormone replacement drugs are stronger and much more effective.

Three approaches for mood swings in PMS with spouses:
Three approaches can be considered for mood swings in PMS with spouses: (1) lifestyle changes, (2) alternative approaches and (3)drugs and surgery. The safest way is to start with the least risky approach before advancing to the next level.



3 comments:

  1. Michele, this article was so right on the money and it made me chuckle. Yes we women do go through a lot and men really need to understand that. My husband used to know when my mood changed and he would tell me he was going golfing. That was his way of leaving before I did harm with my gestures. I think that every woman who has ever been through, or is going through PMS understands 100%.

    To your friend that you speak of in your article, tell her that at some point, we've all wanted to rip our husbands face off. hehe!

    Mary V
    Pentwater, MI

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article Michele. I wake up to you every morning with my cup of coffee never knowing what to expect...but you never let me down. This article was superb! Men don't understand PMS, heck sometimes we don't! Our poor bodies, they just take beating after beating.

    You always show a bright side in your articles and make me realize how much I have to be thankful for. Over the past 20 years, my poor husband has been a punching bag for insults, put downs and rude comments, but he just kisses my forehead,tells me that he loves me and that this too shall pass. I think he gets it!?

    I am grateful to have such a wonderful man in my life. Thank you for the daily encouragement and for giving me a reason to laugh first thing in the morning, even when some mornings I don't want to.

    Betty Himbelz
    Denver, CO

    ReplyDelete
  3. This PMS article was great! You made all the points that men need to read, so I am printing this and taking it to couple therapy tomorrow because my husband does think I am a lunatic and insane. I'm not,really! I appreciate the honest truth from you and the cold hard facts. I know you aren't an expert, but maybe you should have gone into that field? You make people feel better whether you realize it or not?

    Loretta Bigley
    San Diego, CA

    ReplyDelete