Saturday, May 28, 2011

Has Society Sucked You In?

Lets talk for a minute, just for the health of it about something; enhancements? The dictionary says that this an improvement, an exaggeration....... I ponder the question most often, why? Why do people go under the knife to change?

Why do people get enhancements? Sure as we get older things being to sag, bag, and droop, and after having a baby or two or five, women tend to droop in ways that they never imagined, Hey that wasn't in the 'what to expect when your expecting/having a baby book!' …..I get that, and maybe it is nice to get that quick fix to raise ones spirits. I understand that enhancements often are because of deformities, accidents that on has sustained, I get that too...but what I don't get is why someone with a beautiful shape or exquisite features already goes under the knife to change his or her image that was created just for you? No, we weren't all perfectly designed, but who we are defines us. I am a perpetual believer in thinking things through., you should be too.

You are alluring, attractive, adventurous, optimistic, grateful, classy, witty, perhaps even; exciting, intoxicating, innocent, spunky, amorous,vivacious, vociferous, stellar, meticulous. These are characteristics that are in you, and people love you for these traits. They individualize you. These are your invisible branding. I see beauty in so many people and now I find myself looking at those enhanced and wondering why? Why did they do it, why did they want it? Is it because reality has changed the world so much that we feel that if we don't stay one step ahead of the game we lack something? Is it because we are trying to compare ourselves to someone else? Is it because we are trying to stand out and be noticed, and if so, what for?

 My grandmother used to always say, "Stop trying to fit in, when you were born to stand out." I know, sounds like something out of a Lady Gaga song.....which touches on another note....for years people thought that they had to look better, act differently so that they'd fit in. There were times that I felt I never fit in, even with my family I have been the black sheep. Society says enhance., I say insecurities cause this as well as low self-esteem. No more, and gone are the days when getting bullied or taunted belittle you. Please do not misconstrue what I am trying to say. I'm not condemning what you choose to do to your body, afterall it is yours not mine. I'm simply trying to understand why? Beauty is only skin deep, yet below the exterior there is a hidden treasure in each and every one of us. 

I guess my question here is simple; are you doing it for health reasons, aging reasons, childbirth issues, or just to stand out because you think big boobs are great or to earn a few more bucks in your career, get a better partner that loves a perfect body and wants a trophy rather than a real woman? Personally, my overview is that you feel tied to this certain need, this particular notion that this will get you noticed, or make you more popular,....are you a prisoner of your own body? Are you one of those people that drag the ball and chain around with you because you let society suck you in? 



2 comments:

  1. Yes society does suck people in, and we do things that make us feel better, to enhance is a cheap price to pay to get noticed more, to stand out. I read your article and I wept. How does one remove this so called ball and chain? What if I am tired and just want to be myself now? Will society still accept me?

    Ava
    Fort Worth, TX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had enhancements at a younger age. I wanted bigger boobs, I wanted to be noticed. No lectures, my mom just took me. I wish that my mother spoke as your grandmother did, if she had, I would have remained the wallflower, but that wouldn't have been so bad. Looking back now after having has a mastectomy at age 39 I would give anything to be that simple girl again who was called "Flatty PattY"

    Gabby T
    Vail, CO

    ReplyDelete