Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Fashion and People Watching...

Someone asked me recently; "Where do you go to people watch?" Well, truthfully, you can go most anywhere and be entertained...but for myself, when it comes to fashion and people watching...I tend to gravitate toward my two children who seem to know the current trends and like 'Gossip Girl' ....they know what is going on in the Big Apple making the news. They live and work in NYC and they see it all, including many celebrity sightings, sometimes almost daily. Me on the other hand, living in a small quite town...I see no celebrities...life is not all glamorous here, not at all. I get to look out my window and see the older gentleman across the street bending over to pick up his morning newspaper every day with half of England and France hanging out of his pajamas. Not much of a fashion statement, and also not something that you want to wake up to each and every morning.

Such a beautiful city...When I visit NYC, I walk the streets, shop, ride the subways, go to Irish Pubs and people watch...A LOT! (5th Avenue is the place to be to view for the high end luxury of retail. Might I suggest visiting there at Christmas time, as it is fabulous to see the lights and stores dressed up for the holiday.) I have a tendency to make small talk often with those around me, where as my children say nothing to people, they just look and listen...Asking me not to speak would be like taking a fish out of the water...some things we just need. 

You don’t just watch people here, you watch their poodles and pugs, too. People dress their dogs like you and I dress our children....classy, trendy and they spare no expense.Through my children, I have learned that you don’t just watch people, you eavesdrop on them or even sometimes follow them. There are no ethical qualms regarding this,..no sir. People know that what they do and say on the streets of New York is fair game. So where can you go to truly see it all happening? Well, it appears, or so I have heard through the grapevine that dog runs are among the best places in town to watch the natives socialize, frolic, flirt and nuzzle. Central Park is fabulous to people watch but don't hesitate to stray off the beaten path...Brooklyn, Manhattan and Tribeca. Many are there living the dream. As Jay-Z and Alicia Keys sang; "Empire State of Mind" ...Now your in New York, there's nothing you can't do, big lights will inspire you..."

So, you might wonder...just who has time to chase people around and do all this people watching? We all do of course, but most of us don't do it in a stalking sort of way. It happens every second, every minute of the day. We are making observations of others everywhere. To those who visit these larger cities like NYC that I speak of, most of them are complete strangers to how reality really is and they can become a nuisance to these celebrities that are just trying to live a normal life outside of the studio or concert venues. If you are a mature person of wisdom, you may pass these people every day, say on your way into work and see someone famous walking her pup. You see her, and if eye contact is made, you smile and pass by. 

There is a certain respect that one must have for these people that are in the spotlight on a daily basis, and believe it or not, these people tend to respect those of us whom acknowledge them with a glance, nod, or smile, and carry on much more than you might think. Although we may see them as 'goddesses' of the entertainment world, they are just normal people at the end of the day that go home, eat dinner with their families and snuggle up to a good book, or movie script and turn in for the evening. On the contrary to what so many people think, these people put their pants on one leg at a time, just like you and me. They deserve respect, just like you and me. 

People watching is something that most of us do, just some more than others. We learn about current trends not only through fashion icons and magazines, rather first hand. What many people read about in newspapers or view in magazines, my children see daily. I love to hear their stories. At any age, I truly believe that we learn. My kids are my tool. I learn through my children. I enjoy a text from them or a photo on Facebook, or a phone call telling me that I'll never believe who they just saw? 

Regardless of if you live in a big city or not, there is fashion everywhere around you, some spectacular, some (like my neighbor) not so pretty...and people watching goes on in local stores, parks, pubs, etc. I believe that you can learn a lot about a person through something as simple as people watching. 
If you haven't already...you should give it a try!  

If you are visiting NYC this weekend and really want to get some people watching in might I suggest taking a subway ride? Sunday January 13, 2013 is the 12th Annual NO PANTS subway ride. See the link for the locations and for heaven sakes...take your cameras. You won't see celebrities, but this is almost as good! Oh if they were all only wearing sexy undergarments from my store, Simply Delicious Lingerie... www.simplydeliciouslingerie.com Visit our online boutique for low, low prices!

http://improveverywhere.com/2012/12/03/save-the-date-no-pants-subway-ride-2013/





www.SimplyDeliciousLingerie.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment